WFRPC receives a Chrysalis Award in 2014
- WFRPC received a Chrysalis Award for “outstanding efforts towards the cleanup and redevelopment of brownfield properties” in Florida! The Chrysalis Award recognizes the contributions of an individual or organization for outstanding efforts towards the cleanup and redevelopment of brownfield properties in the state. WFRPC was recognized for organizing an annual brownfields workshop and an annual environmental symposium, and for assessment and cleanup efforts at the former Domestic Laundry dry cleaning site in Bay County and the former Southern Scrap Metal site in Escambia County. The award was presented by Nadia Locke, president of the Florida Brownfields Association. Regional Planner Kate Daniel accepted the honors on behalf of WFRPC at the 1st Annual Southeast Brownfields Conference in Orlando.
rideOn Receives Travel Choices Marketing Excellence Award in 2014
- At the 2014 Florida Commuter Choice Summit, rideOn staff members received the Travel Choices Marketing Excellence Award for two commercials highlighting the benefits of rideOn. rideOn is the commuter assistance program operated by the West Florida Regional Planning Council and is funded by the Florida Department of Transportation. The two commercials, “Sick Day” and “The Proposal” promote the cost savings of carpooling and vanpooling and the benefits of the Emergency Ride Home Program.
WFRPC Awarded “Best Story Map” at Esri’s Southeast user Conference
- A key component of public service is community involvement. Each year, the WFRPC participates in multiple public outreach events throughout our service area. While working on annual reports, the WFRPC GIS staff decided to create a story map as a unique way to show where 2012 outreach efforts were focused. This map was named “Best Story Map” at the 2013 Esri Southeast User Conference and was featured in the Summer 2013 edition (PDF) of ArcUser.
Florida Chamber Foundation Names WFRPC Six Pillars Partner
- In June 2013, the Florida Chamber Foundation named all eleven of the state’s Regional Planning Councils (RPCs) as Six Pillars™ Communities. This designation came as a result of the completion of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategies (CEDS) using the Foundation’s Six Pillars framework. As stewards of economic growth across Florida, the RPCs clearly understand that alignment with the business community will strengthen their economic development efforts and foster more opportunities for the entire state, including rural areas. The RPCs will play a strong role in the next phase of the Chamber Foundation’s Six Pillars Community program in their respective regions.
Public Transportation Awards
- As part of WFPRC’s ongoing commitment to public transportation, we support local transit agencies through a variety of activities including marketing. These efforts are routinely awarded at the annual Florida Public Transportation Association’s conference. Recent awards include:
- Okaloosa County Transit 2013
Second Place Award, Potpourri (PDF)
Third Place Award, Advertising (PDF)
- Bay Town Trolley, 2013
Third Place Award, Potpourri (PDF)
- Santa Rosa Transit, 2012
First Place Award, Sustaining Campaign (PDF)
Second Place Award, Print Advertising Collateral (PNG)
Second Place Award, Bus Exteriors (PNG)
- Okaloosa County Transit 2013
Energy Resiliency Strategy
- The Florida Regional Councils Association was awarded a 2013 National Association of Development Organizations (NADO) Innovation Award for the Energy Resiliency Strategy. Developed in partnership with Regional Planning Councils across Florida, the Energy Resiliency Strategy includes recommendations for communities following man-made and natural disasters. These strategies are designed to promote restoring energy independence following disaster, which is an important aspect in recovery.